The Castle 2 Castle is one mile open water sea swim across of the River Fal. The swim starts underer Pendennis Castle ( Cornwall TR2 5EJ) and finishes under St Mawes Castle on the Roseland Penisula.
I need to swim enough to improve my swim and get some open water swim experience and race experience.
There is a lot I am learning about swimming and here is few tips I have learnt:
Combine swimming on your own with swimming with a group.
- Strength train. A strong triceps, strong chest and good core come to mind. This is developed over many years.
- Get private lessons. Yes a good coach at a master's workout may be able to help but if you are a beginner you need some uninterrupted time with a good coach.
- Open water swim. Many times you improve your pool swimming times, then you get out there in open water and your result is the same as usual or worse.
- Breathing. Without enough oxygen it will be impossible to work on anything.
- Train with a wetsuit. A wetsuit makes you more buoyant and faster. Do not wait to use it only on race day. Do some training with it. The body position changes and arm mobility is a little compromised. Get use to this special feel.
- Figure out how to love swimming. Often times the main reason swimming is the weak sport is because it is also the least liked sport.
The RNLI is the charity that saves at sea, Their provide, on call, a 24 - hour lifeboat search and rescue service around the UK and Ireland, and seasonal lifeguard service. With their lifeboats, lifeguards, safety advice and flood rescue, they are comitted to saving lives.
I am happy to support RNLI by entering this year's Castle 2 Castle Swim.
Date: Sunday 12 June 2016
Swim start: 10:45am