The easiest vegan chickpea burgers! Deliciously savory, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, packed with flavor and veggie burger goodness.
- 1 Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Chickpeas*
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 cup Fresh Chopped Cilantro (loosely packed)
- 3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour (use gluten-free for gluten-free version) – plus more for rolling**
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Avocado Oil (or other oil)
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic and add to a frying pan with 1 tsp avocado oil and fry until just before they start to brown.
- Drain the can of chickpeas and add the chickpeas to a food processor with the cooked onions/garlic, paprika, coriander powder, cumin, freshly chopped cilantro and flour and process it into a thick burger batter.
- Sprinkle flour over a baking tray and cover your hands with it as well. Scoop the batter out onto the tray in 4 even sections, roll in the flour and form into 4 balls.
- If the batter is very sticky or too wet, add more flour so that it easily forms a ball.
- Take a square of parchment paper, place on top of each ball and press down on it with the bottom of a glass to flatten it into a burger shape.
- Place the baking tray with the 4 burgers into the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add 2 Tbsp avocado oil to a frying pan and heat up until hot.
- Add all 4 burgers to the frying pan and fry on each side turning regularly until browned and crispy, roughly 5 minutes on each side.
- If you want your burgers extra firm and crispy you can place on a parchment lined baking tray and bake in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for a further 20-30 minutes.